Saturday, March 24, 2012

Cheese

One of the best things available here is unbelievably ripe cheese. The sort of cheese you'd run miles.  I am pretty sure it smells like a corpse. As I have never been around one other than a dead dog once in my life, I can't say that for certain.
One of my guilty pleasures is to take a huge wedge of Brie and  slather it on top crusty French bread.  yeah.. you know Brie is good when it t goes into the holes of the bread and you get a faint whiff of ammonia. I think it's ammonia.

Speaking of cheese, I rented a few movies to try out a new player.   An older movie, The A-Team.  The Green Lantern. Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy. Transformers: Dark Of the Moon.

Lets start with the bad. By bad I mean utter shit. The worst movie I've seen in years. Green Lantern.  When I fire up a movie and it is supposed to be an action flick, that is what I want. I don't want some moral thing with poor acting and a half assed story. I want a hero that kicks ass, takes names and gets the girl. I want a Super Hero.  I want a Villain that kicks ass that doesn't depend on some weedy guy who gets kicked around after a few minutes of  saying how strong humans are. Umm Humans? Strong WTF? Give me a break.  Humans would bow down and worship that Big scary faced villain in 3 seconds and be sheep.

The A-Team. It started of OK. Maybe I also had high hopes as I grew up with the team.  Grew up watching them kick ass but not actually kill any one.  Maybe the same sort of morality play bugs me here too. BA? Having a moral twist? WTF. The only person to have a play like that MIGHT be 'face'.  BA is not going to have a problem breaking someone's spine in half at any time. Doubly so with a person who still has Pain tattooed  on his knuckles. The 'twist' is painfully obvious. Maybe it has to be for the audience.  The fx were pretty lame and had no obvious weight.

Transformers: Dark Of the Moon. OK. If all you want is a crash bang and mindless flick with really good FX, this is really good. There is no real story line, and no pretense of morality of one behind a few cheesy lines that sound like they came out of some freebie page. You could happily put on music, forget the dialogue and just watch the screen. It really is that good. So long as you were able to edit out the humans.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Brilliant. For the most part. Broken up with a few bits of unnecessary motion filming. Gary Oldman as George Smiley and Mark Strong as Jim Prideaux were awesome.  Colin Firth as Bill Hayden was a bit flat and it would have been more interesting to see more of Ann Smiley reacting to George's non reaction. As in, any.  But over all it is well worth watching.  Maybe not worth owning, but definitely worth watching.

No comments: