Thursday, May 3, 2012

national day of talking to thin air and friends and family

Rather than replying to someone directly this was a bit more fair..
How does one get a national day of prayer?   Can that prayer be offered to anyone? or is it only good for (ahem) certain people? "..adherents of all great religions could unite in prayer and that it may one day bring renewed respect for God to all the peoples of the world."(From- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Day_of_Prayer) 
Problem being, not everyone believes in the same book, the same god, or in some cases, the same version of history.
That may sound argumentative, but is factual. So unless there is one filing system for one book/god and all the requests end up at one place ... Which also means it really doesn't matter beyond human egos thinking they have the 'right' answer to life, the universe and everything (42). Then I fail to see how this could be anything between another  fissure in the world of Christian (and the many names) who want to be the right one and everyone who doesn't say "I like that koolaide".
Easy guess for those who don't know. I may not believe in any god, but I don't think for a moment that any one person has all the answers.
 Looking for help from prayer is akin to washing your dog.. You can try over and over, but the doggy smell always remains.
Looking for answers. Unrelenting, and never trusting one single source is a much better way.
That said, if people get comfort from reading a book (sorry, this is a book you can't split up and take the nice bits up and leave the nasty bits out) where slavery is OK'd, your wife better not have done the nasty (ever). And if you support gay marriage or have gay friends? Well..... Let's be kind and say you just didn't know..
I know I know.. There's the "you're just picking out the nasty bits" crowd but honestly, I've got better things to do than talking to thin air, unless I know I am talking to myself.

No comments: